University of Ingolstädt
Founded by Louis the Rich, Duke of Bavaria, approved by Pope Pius II, 1458, and opened, 1472; modeled on the University of Vienna and having as one of its aims the furtherance and spread of the Christian belief.
For its equipment, large endowments were provided from the holdings of the clergy and religious orders and Popes Adrian VI and Clement VII bestowed revenues on it from additional ecclesiastical property.
The Bishop of Eichstütt was appointed chancellor and among the prominent professors of this first period were Conrad Celtes, Jacob Locher, Abensberg, and JoanIies Reuchlin.
During the Reformation, so effective were the efforts to keep Lutheranism out of the university, principally by Johann Eck, that Ingolstädt did more than any other university to advance the counter or Catholic Reformation.
In 1549 Jesuits were appointed professors of philosophy and theology, notable among them being Peter Canisius, Salmeron, and Claude Lejay and in 1568 a profession of faith was required for admission.
In 1688 the faculty of philosophy was entrusted entirely to the Jesuits; during this period such names as Gregory of Valentia, Jacob Gretser, Christopher Scheiner, and Jacob Balde added to the fame of the university.
After the foundation of the Bavarian Academy of Science in Munich, 1759, an anti-clerical tendency sprang up in the university which was transferred to Landshut, 1799, and to Munich in 1826.
New Catholic Dictionary