Friary of La Rabida

Franciscan convent near Palos, Andalusia, Spain, where Columbus stopped with his son Diego on his way to France to seek aid for his expedition to the New World. During his stay there, 1486-1492, the Franciscans Juan Perez and Antonio de Marchena were instrumental in persuading Queen Isabella to finance the project. Its archives were destroyed by the French during the Napoleonic Wars; it was confiscated, 1838; restored, 1854; and reopened as a Franciscan convent, 1920.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author