The Lateran Palace
Papal edifice in Rome which takes its name from Plautius Lateranus, a Roman senator who suffered death under Nero in 66.
It came into the possession of Maximian, who included it in the dowry of his daughter Fausta at the time of her marriage to Constantine the Great in 307.
The latter gave it to Pope Miltiades, c. 313, who adopted part of it as the papal residence and part as a church dedicated to the Holy Saviour.
The Lateran remained the papal residence for about 1000 years.
It was destroyed by fire in the years 1307 and 1361, and during the pontificate of Sixtus V the architect Fontana replaced the building with a smaller edifice.
Pope Pius IX established the Museum of Catacomb Inscriptions and Christian Antiquities in the Lateran Palace in 1854 under the guardianship of Cardinal Patrizi, Monsignor Castellani and Monsignor Tizzani, Father Marchi, S.J., and G. B. De Rossi.
It was in the Hall of the Popes that the Roman Question was settled by The Lateran Treaty on 10 February 1929.
Article 13 of the treaty secures the Lateran to the papacy as an extraterritorial possession.
New Catholic Dictionary