Famous library of Florence founded by Cosmo de' Medici in 1441, which was confiscated when the Medici were expelled from the city and was bought by canons of San Lorenzo at the instigation of Savonarola.
In 1508 it was bought by Cardinal Giovanni de' Meaici and taken to Rome.
Clement VII restored it to San Lorenzo in 1523 and had it placed in a room built after the design of Michelangelo.
It contains 7000 manuscripts, many of which were collected by the Medici with the assistance of Greek scholars from Constantinople.
Among its treasures are Codex Amiatinus, a Vergil (5th century), Pandects (6th century).
New Catholic Dictionary