diocese of Lichfield, England
Founded 7th century, by transference from Mercia, with Saint Chad as first bishop, and later restricted, although increasing in political importance, by the creation of Hereford, Worcester, and Dorchester.
After the Conquest the see was removed to Chester, and later to Coventry, but Lichfield's three-spired cathedral was rebuilt by the Norman bishop Roger de Clinton, and re-dedicated to Saint Chad.
The last Catholic bishop was Ralph Bayne (died 1559).
See also: patron saints index.
New Catholic Dictionary