(German: Lüttich; ancient Vicus Leudicus)
City and former principality of the Holy Roman Empire.
The first bishop, Saint Servais, installed c.345, was succeeded by many saints, Domitian and Monulphus (6th century), Theodard (660-669), Lambert (669), and Hubert, all of whom were zealous in converting the Franks.
Notger (972-1008) secured for his see, the title of which was changed from Tongres to Liége, the feudal authority of a countship and it became a principality of the Holy Roman Empire.
During eight centuries until the French Revolution, the prince-bishops maintained temporal jurisdiction over the practically independent Prince-Bishopric of Liége which comprised a considerable territory, including Liége and its district, the counties of Looz and Hoorn, the Marquisate of Franchimont, and the Duchy of Bouillon.
In the 11th century this principality became famous as a center of learning, but for five centuries its history is a continual struggle involving the bishops, the nobles, and the citizens.
Liége gave to the Church four popes, Stephen IX, Nicholas II, Urban IV, and Gregory X.
The city was active in devotional practises.
Notger authorized the observance of All Souls' Day.
Hugh of Saint Char in 1252 established a feast of obligation in honor of the Blessed Sacrament and John of Troyes, later Pope Urban IV, extended the feast of Corpus Christi to the whole Church.
During the Revolution, the principality was united to France, in 1815 it became part of the Netherlands, and finally, in 1830, a province of Belgium.
The Church of Saint Paul, now the cathedral, was built by Notger (10th century).
New Catholic Dictionary