diocese of Limerick, Ireland
Comprises the greater part of Limerick and a small portion of Clare; suffragan of Cashel.
Early missionaries: Saint Patrick, Saint Senan, and Saint Munchin, who established the celebrated monastery and school of Mungret.
The first known bishop of Limerick was Gillebert (c.1100), who presided at the Synod of Rathbreasail.
His successors were Danes, until the episcopate of Donat O'Brien (1179-1207).
Under Anglo-Norman rule for two centuries the bishops were English or of English descent.
The cathedral and churches were taken by the Protestants at the Reformation.
The present cathedral of Saint John was begun during the episcopate of Dr Ryan in 1856.
New Catholic Dictionary