Llanthony Priory

A monastery of Augustinian Canons, in the Black Mountains of South Wales. It originated c.1100, with William and Ernisius, two hermits living in a chapel once occupied by Saint David, for whom Hugh de Lacy founded a monastery, 1107. The buildings passed into private hands at the confiscation, 1539, and became the property of Walter Savage Landor, 1807.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author