archdiocese of Onitsha, Nigeria
Originated as missionary work by the Fathers of the Holy Ghost in 1885.
Established as the Prefecture Apostolic of Lower Nigeria, Nigeria, Africa on 25 July 1889,
Elevated to the Vicariate Apostolic of Southern Nigeria on 16 April 1920.
Name changed to the Vicariate Apostolic of Onitsha-Owerr on 9 July 1934.
After a lost of territory, it was re-named the Vicariate Apostolic of Onitsha on 12 February 1948.
Elevated to the archdiocese of Onitsha, Nigeria on 18 April 1950.
Suffragen dioceses include
New Catholic Dictionary