Near Andernach, Germany, founded 1093 by the Palsgrave Henry II of Lorraine and placed under the Cluniac Benedictines from Afflighem in Belgium.
It remained a center of religious and literary activity until the secularizing movement of 1802.
The buildings went first to the French, then to the Prussian Government, 1815; they became private property in 1820 and were acquired by the Jesuits, 1863, who made them a home of learning, till their banishment, 1873.
Since 1871 the "Stimmen aus Maria-Laach" started by P. Schneemann, has been a regular periodical.
The Benedictines of the Beuron congregation moved into the monastery, 1892, and in 1893 it became an abbey.
New Catholic Dictionary