A lay society organized in New York in 1904 by Reverend H G Ganss to cooperate with the mission work of priests and religious among the Indians of the United States and Alaska.
It serves as a collecting agency, the funds secured through its annual membership dues being used for the construction and repair of churches, building of mission schools, providing teachers' salaries, and creating scholarships for Indians in certain Catholic schools.
Gifts of clothing, vestments, and altar-vessels are forwarded to the missions by the League.
It has given over $750,000 to the Missions, establishing over 100 mission chapels in the Northwest and Southwest, and erecting the first Indian day-schools in Arizona.
It published "The Calumet" quarterly.
The League disbanded in 1992.
New Catholic Dictionary