Methodist Episcopal Church, South
Separatist slaveholders from the Methodist Episcopal Church under the leadership of James O. Andrew who organized at Louisville, Kentucky, in May, 1845.
It was in agreement with other Methodist bodies in its doctrine, emphasizing especially "the universality of the atonement, the witness of the Spirit, and the possibility of holiness in heart and life."
In government it was in harmony with the Methodist Episcopal Church and particularly stressed the episcopate.
They published twenty periodicals.
Foreign missionary work was carried on by the General Board of Missions in China, Japan, Korea, Brazil, Mexico, Cuba, and Africa.
In 1939 it merged with the Methodist Episcopal Church and Methodist Protestant Church to form the Methodist Church, which today is known as the United Methodist Church.
New Catholic Dictionary