The 26th state to be admitted to the United states, 26 January 1837.
The first Indians of Michigan to have the Gospel preached to them were the Chippewas living near Sault Sainte Marie who were visited by the Jesuits, Blessed Isaac Jogues, and Father Charles Raymbaut, 1642, the rapids then receiving their name.
A short-lived mission was established, 1660, on Keweenaw Bay, near the present village of l'Anse, by Father Rene Menard, S.J., who was murdered soon after by a band of Sioux in the wilderness.
In 1668 Father Jacques Marquette and Father Claude Dablon renewed the mission at the Sault, and three years later Father Marquette set up a rude bark chapet at Michilimackinac and founded the Mission of Saint Ignatius (Saint Ignace) which also ministered to the French of the post which was soon established.
Vestments sent from France to this early mission were long treasured there.
A third mission was established, 1679, at the mouth of the Saint Joseph River by Recollects accompanying La Salle, Father Louis Hennepin, Father Gabriel de la Ribourde, and Father Zenobius Membre.
In 1701 Fort Pontchartrain on the site of Detroit was built of strong timbers, under orders of the newly appointed commandant, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, and a chapel dedicated to Saint Anne was put up almost simultaneously.
It was destroyed by fire, 1703, but immediately rebuilt and the registry, still preserved, records the baptism of a daughter of Cadillac, 2 February 1704, by the Recollect pastor, Father Constantine Delhalle.
The latter was accidentally shot in 1706 while acting as peacemaker between the Miamis and the Ottawas.
Catholic influence on the place-names of the state is shown in the following:
Ecclesiastical divisions include the archdiocese
and the dioceses of
- Saint Charles
- Saint Clair
- Saint Helen
- Saint Ignace
- Saint Jacques
- Saint James
- Saint John
- Saint Joseph
- Saint Louis
- Sault Sainte Marie
New Catholic Dictionary