Street in London, named after the order of Minoresses or Poor Clares (Second Order of Saint Francis).
It runs southward from Aldgate to George Street in, the direction of the Tower and of the Thames.
East of the street is the old church of the Holy Trinity (once an appanage of an abbey of Minoresses) which contains the arms (stars and stripes) of the Washington family.
At one time co-equally with twelve other such localities, including Whitefriars, The Clink, and Deadman's Place, the Minories was a privileged place of quasi-sanctuary for criminals; the privileges were abolished in 1697 and 1723.
New Catholic Dictionary