Missionaries of Saint Francis de Sales of Annecy; Fransalians

Order founded at Annecy in 1838 by Monsignor Riley to do foreign missionary work. In 1845 the first members of this society set out for India, and the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples allotted to them a large tract of land which later formed the dioceses of Nagpur and Vizagapatam. Gregory XVI in 1843 issued a Brief of conimendation, in 1860 the Institute was approved as a society with simple vows, and its constitutions were definitely sanctioned in 1889. It has houses in France, Switzerland, England, Luxembourg, and Brazil, two dioceses in India, and 160 religious. See also, The Fransalians.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author