Missionary Sisters of Our Lady of Africa; White Sisters

A congregation founded by Cardinal Lavigerie in Algiers, 1869, to help the White Fathers in their work in Africa. Their purpose is the regeneration of pagan womanhood and the relief of spiritual and corporal misery. The congregation has postulates and procures in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Canada, and a procure in the United States at Metuchen. New Jersey. These missions include orphanages, schools, native workrooms, hospitals, leper asylums, and dispensaries. The mother-house and novitiate are at St-Charles, Birman, Algiers.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author