Catholic Negro Missions of the United States
Negroes first appeared on the American continent in Haiti (1505), in South America (1517) where Las Casas and Saint Peter Claver were their apostles, and in Virginia (1620).
Between 1680 and 1700, over two million negro slaves were brought into the British colonies of America, including the West Indies; probably 12,000,000 were landed in North and South America from the beginning to the end of the slave-trade.
Importation of negroes was prohibited in the United States in 1808 and negro slavery was finally ended in 1863.
Negroes were converted in the early Colonial days and Bishop Carroll of Baltimore in 1785 estimated their number in America as 3000.
There are about 8 million Negroes in the southern states, where they attend their own educational institutions at Hampton, Tuskegee, the Cardinal Gibbons Institute, Maryland, and elsewhere.
The Catholic Board for Mission Work among the Colored People (New York) established in 1907 is engaged in the support of Negro missions, and 170 white priests and 375 white sisters who devote all their time to Negro work.
New Catholic Dictionary