The 24th state to be admitted to the United States, 10 August 1821.
The settlement of Saint Louis by Laclede in 1764 was antedated by those of Old Mines and Saint Genevieve by French miners and traders, c.1735.
By 1750 they were visited by Jesuit missionaries, and one of the oldest documents of the State is the register of the first little wooden church of Saint Genevieve which opens with the record of a baptism, 24 February 1760, by Father Philibert Watrin, S.J.
He was followed by Father Jean Baptiste Salleneuve, and Father Jean Baptiste de la Morinie, who were driven away when Louisiana expelled the Jesuits, 1763.
The devoted Father Sebastien Louis Meurin of the Kaskaskia mission in Illinois obtained permission to remain, and in 1765 he was stationed at Saint Genevieve.
Cahokia records show that he baptized a little child at Saint Louis in 1766, in a tent, since there was as yet no church there.
When Father Meurin withdrew permanently to the east side of the Mississippi on account of Spanish opposition, c.1767, Saint Genevieve was attended by Father Pierre Gibault, stationed at Kaskaskia in 1768.
He blessed the first church of Saint Louis, built in 1770 on a plot allotted by Laclede, now the site of the cathedral.
Meanwhile missions had been established at Saint Charles, 1762, and at Carondelet, 1767.
The Capuchins were sent from New Orleans to the Missouri missions in 1772, and Father Valentine, the first resident priest of Saint Louis, started the building of the second church there in 1775.
His successor, Father Bernard, erected a log church at Saint Genevieve in 1776.
There was a church soon after at Florissant.
Catholic influence on the place-names of the state include,
Ecclesiastically, the state is governed by the archdiocese of
and the dioceses of
- Mount Carmel
- Saint Anne
- Saint Antony
- Saint Aubert
- Saint Catherine
- Saint Charles
- Saint Clair
- Saint Genevieve
- Saint Elizabeth
- Saint Francisville
- Saint Francois
- Saint George
- Saint James
- Saint Johns
- Saint Joseph
- Saint Louis
- Saint Marys
- Saint Patrick
- Saint Paul
- Saint Peters
- Saint Thomas
- Santa Fe
- Santa Rosa
- Vera Cruz
New Catholic Dictionary