archdiocese of Nanjing, China

The see city's name is also spelled Nanking and Nan-Ching; it is the capital of China's Jiangsu Province, and is the former capital of all of China. The first Catholic mission was established by Matteo Ricci, 1599. It became a vicariate Apostolic, l668, and a diocese in 1690, in the appointment of the King of Portugal. The diocese was suppressed in 1856. A new Vicariate Apostolic of Kiangnan was created on 21 January 1856 and confided to French Jesuits; it comprised the civil province of Kiangsu; residence, Shanghai. The name was changed to the Vicariate Apostolic of Kiangsu on 8 August 1921. The name was changed to the Vicariate Apostolic of Nanking on 1 May 1922. Elevated to the archdiocese of Nanjing on 11 April 1946. Jesuits control: The Marist Brothers conduct The Daughters of Charity maintain The Helpers of the Holy Souls have boarding and day schools in Shanghai; an Apostolic school, Christian, and pagan boarding schools at Zikawei.

The Franciscan Missionaries of Mary have charge of the General Hospital, Shanghai; the European Hospital; and a Chinese dispensary.

The Carmelites work from Tousewe.

The Little Sisters of the Poor, at Tungkadou maintain a home for old men.

Presentandines sisters run native schools.

The Little Brothers of Mary have a college of secondary studies for Europeans, Nanking. See also,
New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author