diocese of Jackson, Mississippi

Covers 37,643 square miles in the state of Mississippi. Founded on 18 July 1826 as the Vicariate Apostolic of Mississippi. Elevated to the diocese of Natchez on 28 July 1837 covering the entire state of Mississippi. The name was changed to the diocese of Natchez-Jackson on 18 December 1956. The diocese was split and the name changed to the diocese of Jackson on 1 March 1977. See also,
New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author