Newark, New Jersey
The Catholics of Newark, largely of German and Irish descent, were served by missionaries from Paterson until 1828, when the first church, Saint John's, was opened.
Saint Patrick's pro-cathedral was commenced, 1846, but meantime opposition was intense and culminated in the anti-Catholic riot of 1854, in which the Benedictine church of Saint Mary was desecrated and severely damaged, one Catholic killed, and several wounded.
Bishop Bayley protested through the New York papers, and while feeling was at its height, George H. Doane, son of the Protestant Episcopal Bishop of New Jersey, entered the Church and the priesthood.
During his active career in the city he was instrumental in bringing about a better understanding.
The new Saint Mary's was built, 1856, a priory (later an abbey) and college being soon added.
A mother-house of the Sisters of Charity was established, 1860; the Christian Brothers began their educational work, 1866; the House of Good Shepherd was founded, 1875; and the Dominican Nuns from Ouillins, France, made a foundation, in 1880.
The corner-stone of a new cathedral was laid, 1899.
New Catholic Dictionary