Near Edinburgh, Scotland, founded c.1140, by Saint David of Scotland, was a filiation of Melrose and possessed valuable coal mines.
It suffered from English incursions, especially in 1385.
A part of the monastery was again destroyed by the Earl of Hartford.
At the Protestant Reformation but few monks remained.
The monastery was converted into a secular house.
In 1937 it was donated to the Scottish government; it has been restored and now serves as a conference and training center.
New Catholic Dictionary