Norridgewock, Somerset County, Maine
Formerly known as Narantsouac.
Center of the missionary work of Father Rale among the Abnaki Indians (1694-1724).
Now the site of a monument erected to him, 1833, by Bishop Fenwick.
A mission was established here, 1668.
The chapel and village were destroyed by the English during Queen Anne's War, 1705, and a dictionary of the Abnaki language, now at Harvard College, was carried off.
After being again destroyed, 1724, the mission was restored, 1730.
New Catholic Dictionary