diocese of Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Christianity was preached in North Borneo in 1687 by Father Ventimiglia, a Theatine.
On 4 September 1855 the northern part of the island was erected as the independent Prefecture Apostolic of Labuan e Borneo under Reverend Charles Cuarteron, a Spaniard.
He arrived at Labuan in 1857 accompanied by several missionaries who remained with him until 1860.
Unassisted, Father Cuarteron was unable to continue the task of evangelization, so he appealed to Rome to place the mission in charge of an institute.
In 1881 the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples put the mission of North Borneo and Labuan under the jurisdiction of the Society for Foreign Missions of Mill Hill, England.
Divided and changed to the Prefecture Apostolic of Northern Borneo on 5 February 1927.
Elevated to the Vicariate Apostolic of Jesselton on 14 February 1952.
The name was changed to the Vicariate Apostolic of Kota Kinabalu on 22 March 1968.
Elevated to the diocese of Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia on 31 May 1976.
New Catholic Dictionary