diocese of Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Founded as the Vicariate Apostolic of Port Essington in 1845.
Elevated to the diocese of Victoria on 27 May 1847.
Jesuits missionaries landed at Palmerston (modern Darwin) on 24 September 1882.
On 10 August 1888 the name was changed to the diocese of Victoria-Palmerston.
Missionaries of the Sacred Heart took over administration in 1906.
On 29 March 1938 the name was changed to the diocese of Darwin.
Suffragen of the archdiocese of Adelaide.
New Catholic Dictionary