archdiocese of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Founded as the Prefecture Apostolic of Indian Territory on 14 May 1876 established by Benedictine missionaries under the governance of the archdiocese of New Orleanss. Elevated to the Vicariate Apostolic of Indian Territory on 29 May 1891. Elevated to the diocese of Oklahoma, covering the entire state, on 23 August 1905; suffragen of the archdiocese of San Antonio. The name was changed to the diocese of Oklahoma City-Tulsa on 14 November 1930. Split and elevated to the archdiocese of Oklahoma City on 13 December 1972. Suffragen dioceses include See also
New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author