Paderborn, Germany (city; archdiocese)
(Latin: Paderae Fontes, springs of the Pader)
A town in Prussia, Germany, and former state of the Holy Roman Empire.
Founded in 777, it became a bishopric, c.805.
The temporal power of the bishops was confirmed by King Louis in 881, and about 1100 they became princes of the empire, and were actual sovereigns, though not over the whole of their diocese, which measured 1000 square miles.
In the secularization of 1803 this territory was assigned to Prussia.
The cathedral dates from the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries.
The diocese was elevated to the archdiocese of Paderborn, Germany on 13 August 1930.
New Catholic Dictionary