Padua, Italy

A city, the ancient "Patavium" of the Veneti, it was three times destroyed by Goths and Lombards (408-601), made a free commune, 1087, and its subsequent history is a succession of wars and civil disturbances until its capture by the Venetians, 1509. Among its famous buildings are the mixed Romanesque and Byzantine basilica of Saint Anthony, begun, 1232, and containing numerous art treasures, and the monastery of the Benedictines dating from the 9th century. Padua, the birth place of many celebrated men and women, gave many martyrs to the Church, Saint Giustina and Saint Daniel, and Bishop Maximus.

The city is the seat of an ancient diocese, whose traditional first bishop was Saint Prosdocimus (3rd century); Saint Gregorio Giovanni Gasparo Barbarigo served in the 17th century. Suffragen of the archdiocese of Venice. See also
New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author