Palatine Library

Original name of the Vatican Library, whose present name dates from 1588 when Pope Sixtus V commissioned Fontana to erect a new building to house the books of the old Palatine Library. At present it refers to a collection in the Vatican which was donated from the Heidelberg Library by Maximilian of Bavaria, 1622. It contains from 10,000 to 12,000 printed books and about 2,450 manuscripts.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author