(Greek: pan, all; theos, god)
A building in Paris used as a monument to the great men of France.
Originally it was a church dedicated to Sainte Genevieve, begun, 1764, designed in the classical style by Soufflot (1713-1780), and continued by Rondelet (1734-1829).
During the Revolution the Convention converted it into a memorial temple and called it the Pantheon.
It was rededicated to religious uses, 1806, but seized for secular purposes, 1830, during the July Revolution.
It was returned to ecclesiastical use, 1851, only to be reassumed by the secular authorities, 1885, as a national monument.
New Catholic Dictionary