Paray-le-Monial, France

Town in central France, department of Saone et Loire, famous religious center. The Benedictine priory was founded in 10th century and the monks were lords of the town until 1789. Among the places of pilgrimage are the Chapel of the Visitation where most of the visions of Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque took place, the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, a famous example of Cluniac architecture, and the Hieron or temple palace, erected in honor of the Eucharistic King, which contains pictures and objects of art connected with the Holy Eucharist.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author