University of Paris
Formed c.1208, by the amalgamation of the ancient schools of Notre Dame, Sainte Genevieve and Saint Victor; organized about the middle of the 13th century.
It was composed of seven groups, the faculty of arts comprising the four nations, French, English, Norman, and Picard and the three superior faculties of theology, law, and medicine.
The whole was governed by the rector, at the head of each faculty was a dean, and at the head of each nation, a proctor.
At this period two degrees were conferred, the baccalaureate and the doctorate, and colleges were formed to establish suitable residences for the students.
The University took an active part in public affairs during the Middle Ages and was the champion of orthodox Catholicity.
It was suppressed in 1790 during the Revolution but was reorganized under Napoleon, 1808, who placed it under the direct surveillance of the state.
In 1896 a constitution was granted to it, and it now numbers the faculties of letters, science, law, and medicine.
New Catholic Dictionary