The Pious Fund of the Californias
Charitable organization that had its origin in 1697 in the voluntary donations to the Society of Jesus for the propagation of the faith in California.
After the expulsion of the Jesuits, 1768, the Crown of Spain administered the fund until the Mexicans achieved independence, 1821, when Mexico administered it until 1840.
When Upper California was ceded to the United States, 1848, the bishops of California demanded part of the fund and presented claims to the Mexican and American Mixed Claims Commission, which referred the question to the British ambassador in Washingiton.
He decided for the bishops of California, who now demanded the interest between 1869 and 1875; they were awarded this by The Hague (its first international controversy), 1902.
The government of Mexico then payed annually to the United States for the use of the prelates of California a sum considered as a "perpetual annuity," until 1912.
In 1923 a Claims Commission was appointed at Washington, DC, by the United States and Mexico, and to this body the United States has presented a claim for the payments due since 1913 to the archbishops and bishops of California.
New Catholic Dictionary