Book-binder and publisher.
Born in 1514 near Tours, France; died in 1589 in Antwerp, Holland.
In 1555 he opened at Antwerp one of the largest printing-houses in Europe.
Appointed royal archi-typographer by Philip II, he printed the , also the and obtained from Rome the privilege of printing all liturgical works.
After the firm ceased to exist in 1867, the printing-house was purchased by Antwerp and converted into the Plantin-Moretus Museum.
New Catholic Dictionary