Pluscarden Priory

A monastery of the Valliscaulian Order. Founded in 1230 near Elgin, Scotland, by King Alexander III of Scotland. In 1454, the Benedictine rule was adopted there. In 1586 only one monk survived. The confiscated property later came into the possession of John, Marquess of Bute, who translated the Breviary into English. Some of the buildings may still be seen.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author