Pontecorvo, Italy

City in the province of Caserta, Italy, on south of the Garigliano River. The cathedraI, castle, and triumphal arch with statue of Pope Pius IX, are notable. Once an independent principality, it was later ruled by the abbots of Monte Cassino, and for a long time belonged to the Papal States. In 1806 it was given to Bernadotte by Napoleon. Incorporated in the French Empire in 1810.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author