Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin

[Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin] Architect. Born in 1 March 1812 in London, England; died in 14 September 1852 in Ramsgate, England. He revived the architectural forms of medieval England and championed truth and fitness in architecture. His enthusiasm for Gothic art, liturgy, and the sacred chant led to his conversion to Catholicism in 1834. Made professor of ecclesiastical antiquities at Saint Mary's College, Oscott from 1838 to 1844. He wielded his influence through numerous writings, notably Contrasts, a Parallel between the Noble Edifices of the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Centuries and the Present Day, the Glossary of Ecclesiastical Ornament and Costume, and designs for silver, gold, brass, and iron work. His completed structures include many Catholic churches. Birmingham, Nottingham, Southwark, and Killarney cathedrals, Adare Hall, Alton Convent, Downside Abbey, and work on the new Houses of Parliament in which he collaborated with Charles Barry.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author