Quarr Abbey, Ryde, Isle of Wight

Also known as Saint Mary's Abbey. Founded in 1903 by Benedictines driven from the Abbey of Solesmes, France. After residing for a year in a house nearby, the monks erected the present buildings upon the site of the ancient abbey of Appuldurcombe, founded in1270 by Benedictines of the Abbey of Saint Mary de Montisbourg, Normandy, given to the Poor Clares in 1442, and suppressed during the Reformation. The new abbey was consecrated in 1912. See also the abbey's web site.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author