diocese of Rochester, New York
Comprises the counties of Monroe, Livingston, Wayne, Ontario, Seneca, Cayuga, Yates, Steuben, Chemung, Tioga, Schuyler, and Tompkins.
Originally part of the diocese of Buffalo, and in the early days of its history under the spiritual jurisdiction of the Jesuits, who had flourishing missions throughout the section.
Diocese founded on 3 March 1868.
Suffragen of the archdiocese of New York.
Bishop McQuaid established Saint Andrews Preparatory Seminary and Saint Bernard's Seminary; his clergy built several parochial schools.
In 1845 the R.C.A. Society was incorporated for the support of orphans.
The Religious of the Sacred Heart carried on educational work in the city as early as 1855.
Nazareth Academy for girls was established by the Sisters of Saint Joseph shortly afterwards.
A Catholic High School for boys and girls was opened in 1906 in the old Cathedral Hall by Bishop Hickey.
Catholics have exerted an appreciable influence on the city's charitable work, as proven by the number of flourishing Catholic charitable organizations and institutions.
New Catholic Dictionary