University of Rome
Founded by Pope Boniface VIII in 1303.
It declined after the transfer of the Papal Court to Avignon, and was closed in 1310.
It was reestablished by Pope Eugene IV in 1431, who increased the revenues and drew up new regulations for its government.
Numerous chairs were added by succeeding pontiffs, and the schools, especially that of law, flourished, although the student attendance was never large, often being smaller than the number of professors.
It was closed during the pontificate of Pope Clement VII but reopened by Pope Paul III, who obtained such distinguished professors as Lainez, S.J., for theology; Faber, S.J., for Scripture; Copernicus for astronomy, and Accoramboni for medicine.
At this time it acquired the name Sapienza.
It again began to decline in the 16th and 17th centuries, was reorganized in the 18th, but at the end of the 19th came under control of the Italian Government and is now called the Royal University.
It has the usual number of faculties and numerous associate schools.
New Catholic Dictionary