Saint Malo, France
Fortified seaport in Ille-et-Vilaine, western France, situated on a granite island communicating with the mainland by a causeway, "Sillon," famous for its cathedral (12th century) and castle (15th century).
In the 6th century a monastery on the island sheltered Malo, a Cambrian priest from Wales, afterwards Bishop of Aleth (Saint Servan).
It became a see in the 12th century and henceforth the bishops of the town claimed temporal sovereignty which was disputed by the dukes of Brittany.
A college existed here from 1611 to 1661.
The monastery of Saint Malo founded at the same time passed over to the French (Maurist) Congregation in 1672.
Saint Malo was bombarded by the English in 1693, 1695, and 1758.
It lost its bishopric in 1801.
New Catholic Dictionary