Name of a church in Paris and a famous seminary, now at Issy.
The Church was begun during the reign of king Louis XIV, according to plans of architects Gamard, Levau, and Gittard, and completed near the middle of the 18th century by Servandoni.
During the Revolution it was made a "Temple of Victory," in 1793, and was later used by the Theophilanthropists.
The seminary was founded 1642 by Father Olier as a national training school for French priests.
In 1814, due to anti-clerical legislation, it was transferred to Issy.
New Catholic Dictionary