Salisbury; Old Sarum

[Old Sarum] Ancient diocese, founded by transference from Ramsbury, with Saint Osmund as first bishop, in 1015, the see having originated in the foundation of Dorchester by Saint Birinus in 634, and having been located successively at Winchester, Sherborne, and Ramsbury. Last Catholic bishop was John Capon (died 1551). The ordinal of Saint Osmund became the basis of the Sarum Rite. The cathedral, completed in 1266, is the flrst important building in the early English style, and its spire, regarded as the finest in Europe, is among the loftiest in the world.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author