Chief Franciscan mission of the Ucayali river country in northeastern Peru, established in 1791 by Father Narciso Girbal, his first colonists being some Setebos who were joined later by other tribes.
Under Father Plaza a good-sized town was built with separate sections for different, tribes, as Pano, Omagua, and Yameo, who used the Pano tongue for intercommunication.
The government was patriarchal, through Indian officers under supervision of priests.
Withdrawal of government support and establishment of other missions led to its abandonment in 1863, but the town continued as the chief port of the Ucayali with a mixed Spanish and Indian population, using the Quichua language as the medium.
New Catholic Dictionary