San Xavier del Bac
Mission in the Santa Cruz valley, Arizona, nine miles south of Tucson, founded in 1699 by Father Eusebius Kino, S.J., from the University of Ingolstadt, and later completed by Spanish Franciscans.
The church and mission buildings, which are the best examples of Spanish Mission style north of Mexico, were abandoned in 1827, and, until 1866, left to the care of the Papago Indians, who saved them from destruction by the Apaches.
They were then used as a mission for the Papago Indians and belong to the diocese of Sonora.
New Catholic Dictionary