Sherborne Abbey

[Sherborne Abbey] Dorsetshire, Englanld. Founded in 998, the place having been chosen two centuries earlier by Saint Aldbem, as the seat of the Bishop of Western Wessex. Bishop Wulfsy III intorduced the Benedictine Rule. At the confiscation in 1536, the conventual buildings went to the school, which was refounded in 1550. Sherborne School is now a leading public school. The abbey church remains the parish church of the town.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author