Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul (Mount Saint Vincent-on-Hudson)

A branch of the Sisters of Charity of Emmitsburg, Maryland, founded in New York in 1817, by several members of the order sent there by Mother Seton. Because of the proposed affiliation of the community at Emmitsburg with the Sisters of Charity in France, the New York community was established as an independent society in 1846. Their work is chiefly educational, but also includes other forms of charity, especially hospital work. The community has 95 houses, including a college, academies, schools and business schools, orphanages, hospitals, nurseries, homes, in the United States and the Bahama Islands. The mother-house is at Mount Saint Vincent-on-Hudson, New York.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author