Sisters of Saint Joseph -(Philadelphia)
Established in 1847, when four members of the community at Carondelet, in response to Bishop Kenrick's appeal, took charge of an orphan asylum in Philadelphia.
Independent mother-house erected in 1858.
Autonomy preserved, under episcopal direction, in 1863 when the Sisters of Carondelet formed a generalate.
Received papal approbation in 1895.
The sisters manages parochial elementary and high schools, a college, academies, industrial and commercial schools, an orphanage, a deaf-mute institute, day nursery, and settlement house in the archdioceses of Baltimore and Philadelphia, and the dioceses of Harrisburg, Newark, and Trenton.
The mother-house is at Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia.
New Catholic Dictionary