Sisters of Saint Joseph of Bourg

Founded in 1819 at Belley, France, from the mother-house at Lyons. Constituted as an independent diocesan congregation in 1823. Mother-house transferred to Bourg in 1825, and from there foundations were made throughout France. The sisters were sent to Bay Saint Louis, Diocese of Natchez in 1854. A novitiate was opened at New Orleans in 1863 where the provincial now resides. The sisters conduct novitiates, schools, an asylum, and a home for working girls, in the archdioceses of Cincinnati, Dubuque, and New Orleans, and in the dioceses of Crookston, Natchez, and Superior. The general mother-house is still at Bourg.

New Catholic Dictionary

NCD Index SQPN Contact Author