Sisters Marianites of the Holy Cross
Founded near Le Mans, France in 1841 by Blessed Basile Moreau for the care of the sick, education of youth, and care of orphans.
The congregation comprises two provinces, that of Louisiana and that of France, the latter including the houses in New York.
The sisters have houses, including schools, academies, orphanages, a hospital, and a home for boys, in France and the United States.
The mother-house is at Precigne, France.
In 1843 the sisters established the mission of Notre Dame du Lac in Indiana, and in 1847 they erected a house in the village of Saint Laurent, near Montreal, Canada.
These two foundations became independent branches, Indiana in 1869, under the title Sisters of the Holy Cross, and in Canada in 1883 under the name Sisters of the Holy Cross and of the Seven Dolors.
New Catholic Dictionary